Amazon Sports

What Does CHILL Stand For?

Good question. CHILL stands for a few things. First, since we're talking about sportsmanship (and the lack thereof in many circumstances), CHILL means "Hey -- CHILL OUT!" 

But also what it means is this: 

COOL
HEADS
INSTILL
LIFE
LESSONS

Cool heads instill life lessons. Seems pretty obvious, right? You'd think.

As someone who is conflict-averse (and you'll hear much more about that as we go along), I really detest conflict in general. But more specifically, I detest conflict at sporting events where I want to watch my kid play, enjoy chatting with other parents, and relax. Nothing ruins a game for me (and since it's not all about me, ruins a game for a lot of people) quicker than a bunch of parents throwing barbs at the officials or each other, kids tossing off F-bombs like the parents can't hear, or players exacting revenge for some perceived injustice.

I don't like it. But that's just me. Do you like it? Have you ever felt uncomfortable at a youth or high school game because some person, a mom or dad, just can't shut up and enjoy themselves? Have you ever been the one who can't shut up?

Granted, there are times when I'm disappointed in a call. And I say things like, "C'mon, you've got to call that!" But, then I settle back down and let everyone do their jobs. In short, I chill out.

As for the "life lessons" part of CHILL: think about this. We want our kids to grow up to be well-adjusted, successful adults, right? Anyone out there want their kid to grow up to be a wife-beater or serial killer? No? Of course not. But when we parents scream our heads off, show disrespect to officials or coaches or other adults, or even coach our kids to take matters into their own hands, we're not showing them that we want them to grow up to be well-adjusted adults. We're showing them that we want them to grow up and be loud-mouthed pains in the ass just like we are.

CHILL Manager (TM) came about because I wanted to bring the fun back into youth sports. Not just the fun of winning on the field and gelling as a team. But also the fun of wanting to go to practice because that's where friends are. Of wanting to go to games (even as adults) because it's a positive experience.

Being on a team teaches our kids how to get along with others. Let's show them we know that life lesson, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! Thoughts, comments, and questions always welcome...